Bright Horizons Internship Program

Student interning in labOVERVIEW: The Bright Horizons Internship Program at the University of Georgia exposes Federal Work Study (FWS) eligible students to high need, rapid growth “bright outlook” occupations through collaborative partnerships with employers in these occupation categories. In particular, the program emphasizes partnerships with for-profit, small businesses to provide internships in the following areas (among others):

  • Accounting & Business Management 
  • Agricultural & Animal Sciences
  • Computer Science
  • Cybersecurity 
  • Data Science
  • Engineering
  • Environmental Sciences
  • Healthcare including Allied Health
  • Media & Entertainment


  1. Construct a talent pipeline between UGA student talent and employers in bright outlook occupations
  2. Increase access for Federal Work Study eligible students to work-linked experiential learning opportunities connected to their program of study and career goals


  1. Be a for-profit small business (as defined by the Small Business Association) of any legal structure
  2. Be independently owned or operated
  3. Be physically located and operated in the U.S. or its territories
  4. Not be nationally dominant in its field


Program Design & Infrastructure: The Bright Horizons Internship Program is designed to enable FWS students to both apply and develop skills and competencies within an immersive, bright outlook occupation experience while also creating mutually beneficial industry partnerships. Students are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week.

  • Program Administration: The Office of University Experiential Learning (OEL) administers the program with oversight from the Office Student Financial Aid. Additionally, the OEL provides the employer with an Internship Toolbox supporting onboarding and evaluations along with internship design principles.
  • Fiscal Implications: Leveraging a unique pilot program between the University of Georgia and the US Department of Education, 75% of the student intern’s salary can be paid through the Federal Work Study Program. The partner will contribute the remaining 25% to UGA (non-federal funds). The Office of Student Financial Aid will disperse the employer provided funding to students.
Employer Benefits: In addition to the financial benefit provided by the Bright Horizons Internship Program, employers gain access to the UGA talent pool, enabling a pipeline to identify future employees. Additionally, Program Partners gain new perspectives and insights to their business and/or challenges while expanding bandwidth to complete short term or special projects.



Downloadable Flyer (PDF)


If you have additional questions or are interested in having your internships approved for experiential learning, OEL is here to help. We look forward to working with you and your organization.

Karen Saunders, Internship Progra m Coordinator 706.542.1716