Experiential Learning FAQs for Advisors

What will fulfill the Experiential Learning Requirement?

It depends on the student’s major school/college. An activity from the student’s minor school will not satisfy the requirement. To see the most updated list of courses and non-credit activities that fulfill the requirement for each school/college, visit the EL Courses and Activities page.

What will satisfy the requirement for dual degree students?

Dual degree students with majors in two different schools/colleges may satisfy the requirement from either school’s list.

Will any S-suffix service learning course fulfill the requirement?

It depends on the student’s major school/college. See the schools or colleges   Any S-suffix course will fulfill the requirement for the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, College of Education, College of Environment and Design, Franklin College, Public Health, Social Work, SPIA, and Terry College. To see the most updated list of courses and non-credit activities that fulfill the requirement for the other colleges, visit the EL Courses and Activities page.

A list of most current blanket statements for S-suffix courses, R-suffix courses, CURO, study away and field studies can be found on the blanket approvals page.

Does variable credit affect the experiential learning requirement?

As long as the course is in the approved list of EL courses and activities, it will satisfy the requirement. Some one-hour courses (and equivalent activities) have been approved.

How do I know if a study abroad or field study has been approved by UGA? Will all of these courses automatically check the box in DegreeWorks ?

A list of UGA approved study abroad and field study opportunities can be found on Education Abroad’s website.  The Office of Experiential Learning works with the Office of Online Education to make sure the box is correctly checked. Contact us if you think it should be checked and isn’t. Programs should automatically check the box in DegreeWorks if the school/college has approved the specific program or has a blanket statement.

If a student has fulfilled the requirement and then changes majors, will he/she need to complete the EL requirement for the new major?

No. Once the requirement has been satisfied, it is always satisfied.

I have a student who will graduate soon and still needs to fulfill the EL Requirement. What are the options?

There are many different ways to fulfill the requirement, including courses, study abroad, research, service learning and more. If a student is unable to find anything on the EL Courses and Activities page, he/she should check with their home school or college’s Experiential Learning Certification Officer. Note: Exceptions for alternative EL requirement activities must be approved in advance of the activity.

Where can I find contact info for the EL Certification Officers?

A current list of EL Certification Officers can be found at this link.

How can a student apply for the Experiential Learning Scholarship?

Information on student and activity eligibility can be found on our Resources page. The Office of Experiential Learning accepts applications twice a year. Deadlines and a link to the application can also be found on the Resources page. Students may apply for funding for any approved EL activity.

Why isn’t the EL Requirement box checked in DegreeWorks?

If you believe a student has completed the requirement, but it is not reflected in DegreeWorks, contact us at ugael@uga.edu.

Can students receive credit for a prior course experience?

No. The requirement may not be satisfied through transfer of course credits from a previous institution or other activities prior to matriculation at the University of Georgia.

Why isn’t this course or non-credit activity approved for EL?

If you feel a course should be considered for experiential learning, please contact our office. We will reach out to the home school/college to see if they are interested in proposing it for EL.